What Am I Reading? A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

I’m just about done reading A Man Called Ove. I’ve noticed that many fellow bloggers have read and enjoyed this book. This is a book club choice and, right now, I’m not sure there’s going to be enough in this book to talk about. Has anyone else read this as a book club choice? Was it successful?

Here’s the opening paragraph:

A MAN CALLED OVE BUYS A COMPUTER

THAT IS NOT A COMPUTER

Ove is fifty-nine.

He drives a Saab. He’s the kind of man who points at people he doesn’t like the look of, as if they were burglars and his forefinger a policeman’s flashlight. He stands at the counter of a shop where owners of Japanese cars come to purchase white cables. Ove eyes the sales assistant for a long time before shaking a medium-sized white box at him.

“So this is one of those O-Pads, is it?” he demands.

What do you think?

Would you keep reading?

____________________________

firstparagraphEvery Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea shares the first paragraph of a book currently being read. Feel free to join the fun.

This entry was posted in First Paragraph. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What Am I Reading? A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

1. I’ve heard lots of good things about this one, although I haven’t read it – of course book club choices work better if you have plenty to discuss so it’s a shame if that isn’t the case here.

2. Karen says:

This has been on my TBR for a while now just because I keep hearing about it. Some day I may even read it!

3. I’ve been reading a lot about this book lately, whilst it isn’t my normal read, I would surely like to give this one a try. Thanks a lot for sharing, Margot!

I haven’t read this one yet, but I like the opening!

5. Kay says:

I also haven’t read this, but have certainly heard some good things from others. And I’ve seen it as a book group pick at one of the libraries I use. Don’t think they’ve had the meeting yet – maybe April or May. Anyway, if there is not enough to talk about with the book, I bet there are themes or side trails that can be explored. Or even books that are similar to this one. Or what else people have been reading lately. Or…can you tell that I’ve moderated book groups for a long time? LOL

6. I enjoyed this book, and I think the book club might have a good time examining the leading character, and trying to figure out what he is going to do. What is his plan? Along the way, we gradually grow to understand and feel empathy for him.

Thanks for sharing…and for visiting my blog.

7. I’d continue reading… I tried another title by this author, but unfortunately couldn’t get along with it, but I’m all for giving second chances. Hope the book club chat goes well!

8. I loved this book–and so did one of my book clubs when we read it together a few months back. We had plenty to discuss about the characters and how they related to (and eventually grew) on Ove, despite his standoffish nature.

I’ve heard good things about his other novel, Britt Marie Was Here. I’m planning to read it when I find the time. I gave up on one of his other novels, My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She’s Sorry. It’s currently on loan to a bookish friend, so I’m curious to find out what she thinks of it.

His next novel, Beartown comes out this year and it’s been compared to Britt Marie. I will definitely give it a try.

9. Diane says:

Oh yes, I’ve read all the books by this author and look forward to Beartown as well. Hope you like Ove.

10. Lorraine says:

That’s the first thing I’ve read about this book that makes me want to read it. Sounds great! Here’s my link for today’s opening paragraph and teaser: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1v4

11. I loved this book! Ove is such an interesting and unusual curmudgeon, isn’t he?
    My Tuesday post features A Thread of Truth.

12. Vicki says:

I listened to the audiobook and loved it. I loved the other characters, but Ove was special to me.