Wondrous Words #157

Welcome to Wondrous Words Wednesday. I only have a couple of words this week. They are two left over from my last short story post: Chefoo, China by Thornton Wilder

1. tiffin: There was leisure for talk at the clubs on the Bunds, at the eternal tiffins, and teas, and dinners.

A tiffin is a light meal, especially lunch.

2. fecundity: We were filled with wonder at nature’s fecundity.

Fecundity is an adjective meaning fertile or capable of producing an abundance of offspring.

Wonderous Word Wednesday is sponsored by Kathy at Bermuda Onion. Visit her for more new word or to play along.

This entry was posted in Wondrous Words. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Wondrous Words #157

Thanks to Kathy’s past WWW posts I actually know what a tiffin is!! My outdoor cat was very fecund!! 😀

2. Tiffin is a fun word!

3. Tiffin — another word I thought I knew but didn’t — I thought it meant a kind of tea (must have first read it before I got my Kindle — not I look up everything!)…..

Fecundity I knew, but can’t imagine ever using — it sounds rude somehow.

I love reading everybody’s entries to this meme.

4. Annie says:

I never saw “tiffin”, but understand fecundity =fécondité, in French.
    Have a nice week, Margot.

5. I looked up tiffin carrier one time and they are quite elaborate. I found a great video on YouTube about tiffin carriers being delivered in Mumbai. You can see it here if you’re interested.

6. Belle Wong says:

I love the word tiffin! It’s Ine I could definitely work into my everyday life …

7. Scribacchina says:

I knew tiffin carriers, but not tiffin, which is a nice word in and of itself. Thanks for sharing!

8. Susan says:

I especially like tiffin. Great words!

9. Vicki says:

Both are new to me, but I like the sound of them both!

10. Louise says:

I knew both your words today. I just watched the link Kathy posted. I’ve seen a longer show on tv about that system a few years ago- it is extraordinary.

11. YVONNE says:

Hi Margot,

I knew both of these words, although I probably wouldn’t ever use either of them in conversation.

‘Tiffin’ seems to have been replaced with the word ‘Brunch’, here in the UK, a combination of breakfast and lunch.

Yvonne