Whip Up Something New – July

Every month this year I’ve been trying out a recipe that’s been sitting in To-Try file. I’ve been urged along by a monthly meme called Whip Up Something New.

Each month there is a new hostess. For the month of July, it’s my turn. So, Welcome to the July Edition of Whip Up Something New.

Think of Whip Up as a Potluck, a Pitch-In or a Recipe Exchange. Everyone is welcome to share. Here’s how it works:

• Pick up one (or more) of those recipes you’ve been saving some future date. That future date is here, now, the month of July.
  • It can be anything: appetizers, salads, main dishes, side dishes, drinks, and so forth. Maybe you have a new cookbook or culinary mystery with something intriguing. Try it out. Homemade pet food? Why not. I said anything.
  • Make the dish and analyze it. How did it turn out? What did others think of it? Would you make it again or make it again with changes?
  • Tell the world about it. Post it on your blog or facebook page. If you don’t participate in either one of those media, tell us about it in the comments section.

Mr. Linky will be up all month long. Come back and post your link and we will come and check out your latest culinary attempt.

To get us started, I’m sharing a new recipe I tried for Barbeque Baked Beans. My husband found the recipe in a camping magazine. It came from a man who made it in huge quantities for a civic club fundraiser. I changed it a little and cut it down considerably but it still makes a lot, about 8 to 10 servings.

Barbeque Baked Beans

Ingredients:

• 2 (28 oz.) cans of baked beans
  • 1/2 an apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces
  • 1 onion, chopped into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup of golden raisins
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup of brown sugar (according to your taste)
  • 1 bottle of KC Masterpiece barbeque sauce (or your choice)
  • 4 to 6 strips of bacon (optional)

Directions:

1. Drain the beans to get rid of most of the juice. (I left about a half a cup.)
  2. Pour into a large pot or baking dish
  3. Add the apple, onion, raisins, and brown sugar. Stir to mix.
  4. Add the bottle of barbeque sauce and stir again.
  5. If desired, add the bacon strips, one at a time across the top.
  6. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 2 to 3 hours. The directions said to stir every half hour or so. I didn’t touch it. Mine was done in a little less than 2 hours.

I liked this so much better than my old recipe that started with cans of pork and beans. The apple and raisins were a nice additions without being overly and artificially sweet.

This is just right for a summer barbeque, but also good for a winter potluck. I’m planing to make it for our Independence Day celebration this weekend.

Speaking of weekends, I will link this post to Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads on Saturday. Click the button below to visit.

This entry was posted in Food Talk, Weekend Cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Whip Up Something New – July

1. Do we qualify if we try a new microwavable tv dinner? :–)

2. Belle Wong says:

This sounds like a fun meme – I just sent the link to this post to Ward, so hopefully you’ll see a link from him this month!

3. Pingback: Wrapping up the June Whip-Up Challenge « Graasland

This recipe sounds great…I love BBQ Baked Beans…but the raisins throw me off just a bit!! πŸ˜€

5. stacybuckeye says:

I agree with Staci (the other one), skip the raisins and I’m in.

6. Vicki says:

I love baked beans. They’re what my daughter always makes for get together’s so I’m passing this recipe on to her!
    Here’s my WC

7. Uniflame says:

Aaah I needed to check back here for the link πŸ™‚ Thanks for hosting this month!

8. I’ve got several new cookbooks that I want to try out. Now that we’ll be home for a few days, maybe I’ll get a chance and then I can participate in this meme.

9. I joined in with a salad and a grilled chicken. Your baked beans sound so good, lot of great flavor in there, and I love the combination of the apples and bacon together! Thanks for hosting!

I keep meaning to participate in this challenge — hope I remember to link up this month!

11. Marg says:

Hmm, I hadn’t really thought about adding things to baked beans

12. Lynda says:

Will try these beans out – minus bacon though ;0)

13. Ann says:

I stopped by your blog today.
    Ann

14. Joanna says:

I am so making your baked beans recipe! I love the regular baked beans and had bbq ones at a potluck once and have been meaning to make them ever since. Thanks!

15. Heather says:

I love trying new recipes, probably at least one a week. Now that my family is used to it, they even encourage me.

I am looking for recipes for camping, it never occured to me to check for a camping magazine. Thanks.

16. Fun meme, Margot! I like this way of doctoring up a large can of baked beans to give it an extra zip (I’ve never made baked beans “from scratch”).

I’ll see if I can get myself back here to “Whip Up Something New” this month πŸ™‚

there’s nothing like a yummy pot of baked beans to warm up a barbecue.

18. Raksha says:

I will surely participate. Nice event πŸ™‚

19. Pingback: Cabbage and Carrot Salad Recipe (CSA vegetables week 26 and 27, 2011) « Graasland

20. Hm, I’m not sure: I’m not to fond of fruit in my dinner… :\ Can’t leave it out when I also don’t use the pork, right? ;P

21. Uniflame says:

Back to submit an ice cream recipe πŸ™‚

22. khushi says:

I have submitted my entries πŸ™‚

23. Pingback: Cabbage Tsukemono Recipe (CSA vegetables weeks 28 and 29, 2011) « Graasland