A New Recipe: Bacon Cheddar Pinwheels

I wanted to try lots of new recipes for our Super Bowl party, but ended up with only two new ones. I’ve been experimenting with a new chili.  Unfortunately, I didn’t like the way it turned out. I’ll keep at it and let you know when it gets where I want it.

But I did try a new-to-me appetizer that turned out to be quite delicious. I found this recipe on Pillsbury’s website. It’s one of numerous ideas for using crescent rolls. Here’s the recipe. My notes follow.

Bacon Cheddar Pinwheels

Ingredients:

• 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
  • 2 tablespoons ranch dressing
  • 1/4 cup cooked real bacon pieces or 4 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions (4 medium)

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F.
  2. Unroll crescent roll dough; separate into 2 long rectangles. Press each into 12×4-inch rectangle, firmly pressing perforations to seal.
  3. Spread dressing over each rectangle to edges. Sprinkle each with bacon, Cheddar cheese and onions.
  4. Starting with one short side, roll up each rectangle; press edge to seal. With serrated knife, cut each roll into 8 slices; place cut side down on ungreased cookie sheet.
  5. Bake 12 to 17 minutes or until edges are deep golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.

Notes:

1. I made these ahead of time. I kept them in logs, wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator.
  2. When the time came, I took them out and cut them, and baked them. It took about 20 minutes before they were completely baked.
  3. The directions say to serve them warm. They were great warm but my husband ate some cold leftover pinwheels the next morning and pronounced them still good.
  4. Next time I make them I will put them on parchment paper or aluminum foil. Part of the pinwheels stuck to my cookie sheet and they were horrid to clean up.

I definitely give these pinwheels two thumbs up. Easy to make and very yummy.

I am linking this post to Trish at Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity who is the February host for Whip Up Something New meme.

As always on Saturday, my post is linked to Beth Fish ReadsWeekend Cooking.

This entry was posted in Food Talk, Weekend Cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A New Recipe: Bacon Cheddar Pinwheels

These sounds easy and good — and the filling possibilities are endless. Oh and thanks for mentioning that it would be a good idea to line the pan with something for easier cleanup. There is nothing worse than being left with a hard-to-clean baking sheet.

2. Wow, this looks delicious! Pillsbury has the best recipes – I love the bake-off cookbooks!

3. Since they’ve got bacon and cheese, they get my vote! They look delicious and fairly easy to make.

Well, I love this recipe because it’s simple enough for me to do!! I’m pretty sure my husband and son would love them!!

5. Robin says:

Oh, those look delicious and yummy and fattening. But who cares as long as it’s delicious. Will have to try those.

6. Belle Wong says:

This sounds delicious, Margot. Ward’s going out shopping, and I’ve added the ingredients we don’t have to his list. It will be perfect for me to make on the nights he’s teaching!

7. Ellie says:

Those look so good and sound easy to make. YUM!

8. Pingback: Tweets that mention Joyfully Retired » A New Recipe: Bacon Cheddar Pinwheels -- Topsy.com

9. Heather says:

These look wonderful. They’d make a great treat for the kids who always seem to be hungry.

10. Those are really attractive. What a terrific Super Bowl treat!

There’s nothing better than a bacon cheddar combination…. unless it involves crescent rolls!

12. Alex Baugh says:

These made my mouth water when I read the recipe, and I don’t even care for bacon that much. I am definitely going to have to try this, though.

I have a very nice chile recipe that we have made every superbowl sunday to about 20 years, I would be happy to send you.

I’m so happy to read your notes – great idea to include them. Parchment paper is a lifesaver at times. I can imagine that the baked on melted cheese would be a nightmare to clean off. Happy Sunday and Valentines Monday!

14. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

15. Oh, they look quick and easy!

16. Pingback: Inspiration Monday: Happy Valentine’s Day!

17. Martha says:

Oh, yummy, yummy! My tummy is growling.

18. Trish says:

ooooh, my mouth is watering just looking at the picture! I can imagine they smell delicious as well. Thanks so much for sharing with us. And sorry about the chili–disappointing when a new recipe doesn’t go the way you hope it does.

19. stacy says:

Yummy! I was looking for something fun to do with my crescent rolls last week, but didn’t come up with anything as good as this 🙂