Celebrate The Holiday With Cake

I hope everyone is having a wonderful long holiday weekend. This has always been a great time in the United States to remember the founding of our country. We celebrate other things as well, those things we have because of our country’s unique founding:  we celebrate our families, our friends, the great outdoors, the warm summer weather, and even the extra time off work. And we do it all with food.

In the past, our family celebrations have usually included a cake. Primarily because cakes are so easy to make ahead of time and their easy to tote along with us. I found a new book that is just right for this weekend.

United Cakes of America:

Recipes Celebrating Every State

by Warren Brown

Warren, of CakeLove fame, has lots of passions and this book highlights two of them: his love of history and his love for baking cakes. He set out to find those classic recipes that are linked to each state.

In some cases he created new recipes to feature a food item known in the state. I like that Warren also throws in a little history along with the recipes. And, there are a few non-cake recipes such as Florida Key Lime Pie.

I was particularly interested in the states that have been important in my life. These are the states I’ve lived in or my children live in or went to college in. This will give you a small sample of the cake recipes you will find in this ambitious book.

• Wisconsin: Brown Sugar, Cranberry and Pecan Cake
  • California: Avacado Cupcakes and Chiffon Cake
  • Missouri: 7 Up Cake
  • Kansas: Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
  • Iowa: Roasted Pecan Cornbread
  • Maryland: Smith Island Cake
  • New Mexico: Bizcochita Cake
  • Kentucky: Derby Pie and Kentucky Jam Cake
  • Indiana: Hoosier Cream Pie
  • Oregon: Filbert Chocolate Cake

If you love cake, this is one book you should have on your shelf. You’ll like all the big color photos too. I can see a future blogger setting out a challenge to bake all 52 cakes (includes Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.) within a year. I don’t want to try all 52 but I’d have a go at the 12 I’ve listed above. That’s only only one a month. Anybody on?

About the author:   Warren Brown left a career in law to pursue his love of baking. In 2002, he opened his first bakery, CakeLove, and he now has seven shops in the greater D.C. and Baltimore areas. The author of CakeLove: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch, he lives with his wife in Washington, D.C.

United Cakes of America: Recipes Celebrating Every State is available at Amazon. (I am an Amazon Associate.)

Talking about food is a regular feature on my blog and others as well. Visit Beth Fish Reads for other bloggers who are participating in Weekend Cooking.

This entry was posted in Food Talk, Weekend Cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Celebrate The Holiday With Cake

That would be very ambitious to bake all 52 cakes! 12? You can do it, Margot! Looks like a really interesting cookbook and if there are nice big color pics, all the better. Have a safe and fun 4th!

Love the idea behind this ‘cakebook’! I’ve just been to my library website and ordered a copy through interlibrary loan to preview. It should be here by the end of the week.

What a cool idea for a cake (and more) book. And what a fun challenge (which I’m going to pass on — too much dessert for just the two of us). I am definitely going to look for this book next time I’m at the store or library.

4. Yummy! I need to get hold of that book! I’m really curious about South Carolina’s cake.

This book looks extremely cool!! I think I’m going to get a copy for my library..the kids would love this one as would the adults! 😀

6. Love the idea of that cookbook! And I really want to have the Wisconsin and Kentucky cakes! :–)

7. Molly says:

What a fabulous idea for a cookbook — I LOVE it! Of course, I immediately honed in on my neck of the woods, Carrot Cake (one of my favorites) and 7 UP Cake (I don’t think I have had that in years) are both worth the cost of the book.

When I read this review I immediately thought of Vivienne (Serendipity blog). I believe she is reading her way across the states. What fun to celebrate the end of each “state’s” read by baking a cake, don’t you think?

8. caite says:

gee, I am curious what NJ’s is……

9. Rikki says:

The Kansas one sounds particularly yummy! I love carrot cake and the cream cheese frosting sounds like the right finishing touch.

10. Vicki says:

I’ve never seen this book before, but now I want one!! I’d love to see what the cakes for Ohio and Florida are!!

11. stacybuckeye says:

I want to see you bake all 52, Margot! And could you drop off the Ohio one on your travels 😉

12. I Love Cakes says:

I love the idea of this book. I too haven’t ever seen it before but I’ll keep an eye out for one. I love the patriotic perfection. Being from Kansas it doesn’t hurt that one of my faves is carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Yum!

13. candice says:

Yum! I too like this book idea. Food, travel & books are a wonderful trio!
    Whenever I think of cake & the Fourth of July, I remember Judy Reed’s marvelous cake for the bicentennial. I can’t remember the flavor but it was a beauty to look at, until the Missouri heat/humidity had its way with it. We do still have photos, right?
    happy 4th!

14. You know what my favorite state cake is 😉

This book looks great!

15. 52 cakes is a goal to aim for!

16. cerrin says:

Candice I have the photos. lol I am working on scanning them and getting them in the computer to share.

I Do remember Judy Reed’s Cake. But my favorite of all time is Mom’s Cup Cake Cones. Those were the best and really fun to eat

17. candice says:

@ Cerrin- i remember the cupcake cones too. I loved them! They remind me of girl scout functions. Very ingenious because you can hold your cupcake, eat all of it, no fussy wrapping to deal with, AND it seems like you get more frosting than regular cupcakes…