We’re Never Too Old To Learn

I have been knitting since I was six or seven but never have I knit a pair of gloves – until now. I’ve made numerous mittens and socks and sweaters, scarves and hats. Gloves were just too difficult – or so I told myself.

And then, Genevieve mentioned that someday she’d like to learn to make gloves, and I thought glove lessons would be a good Christmas gift for her. If Genevieve, the fairly new knitter could learn, maybe this long-time knitter could learn too. So, we spent four Thursdays in January taking classes at the local yarn shop.

Was it hard? Not until we got to the fingers. Genevieve had never handled four needles andΒ  knitting round and round. She took to it immediately with no hesitation. We both were a bit hesitant on the thumb but managed just fine. And then we hit the fingers. Four needles with only 14 stitches became confusing. We both knit backwards a couple of times. I had to take one finger out and start over.

We had a superb and very patient teacher, Bonnie. In addition to being a real sweetheart she taught us all kinds of tricks to making gloves and knitting in general. Bonnie wrote her own pattern for our gloves but also recommended a good resource book for knitting all sorts of things, including gloves.

This is The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd. It’s a basic book with all sorts of charts to allow for various yarns and needles. It’s perfect for knitters who want to design their own items but don’t want to do all the math. It covers everything from hats to vests and sweaters, to mittens and gloves, scarvs and socks.

What’s next on our list of things to learn? Genevieve wants to try hats and fingerless gloves. I’m working up my nerve to try socks that are made two at a time from the toe up. I can do it. Sure I can. I’m not too old to learn.

What about you? Is there something you think you can’t learn because of age? Or is there a skill you’ve learned in spite of your age?

This entry was posted in Knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to We’re Never Too Old To Learn

1. Molly says:

I can knit a sweater – maybe – but I have yet to learn to cast off πŸ™‚ Basic knitting is something that I would like to learn at some point in my life.

Oh I absolutely love to knit socks and I’ve knit from the toe up. But I haven’t yet tried that trick of knitting one inside the other. Hope you try it and report soon.

3. I’ve been trying to learn to play bridge, but I definitely feel like my brain is too old to take it all in!

4. WordLily says:

Good for you, tackling gloves! I haven’t tried gloves yet, but I don’t exactly feel the urge, either. (Although I don’t wear mittens, so I haven’t knit any of those. I’ve knit several pairs of fingerless mitts, though.)

I’m close to trying two-at-a-time toe-up socks, too. I’m wondering, though, if I shouldn’t try a single sock toe-up first.

5. Stacy says:

I’ve never tried knitting, but I’d love to be able to make those fun gloves! I did try quilting once and had a problem with my sewing machine πŸ˜‰

6. Kathy says:

You totally rock! When my dad was in the Navy and stationed aboard ship, he used to knit argyle socks to pass the time.

7. I agree with you 100% Margot – you’re never too old to learn! Good for you for going for the glove challenge … I had to laugh at “it wasn’t hard until we got to the fingers!” hee-hee. Did you consider fingerless gloves?

8. candice says:

Wow! This is great and I love the photos. Is that Bonnie pictured with Genevieve? if so, she does look rather patient and sweet! You both chose very lovely yarns for your gloves. I like the idea of taking a class with someone else, it is a good mutual motivator… I am very happy to see a post on knitting, thanks.

9. Bumbles says:

Fingerless gloves sounds like the way to go from a knitting perspective ;0)

I embrace learning. I don’t always DO things but I learn about many things by watching or reading. That’s why I love blogging. So much out there to discover and become inspired by.

10. cerrin says:

The picture remindes me of that wonderful knit ship in Mineapolis. I would love to go back there and spend another full day knitting. lol My first time making a hat and I really like making them now. Even my guy friends like to get hats from me lol. I really prefer mittins. I like my fingers to be able to move. lol I would love some great knitted socks. lol maybe I can learn to make socks.

11. Does this make you an autodidact at glove knitting? πŸ™‚ I am so envious of your knitting skills. I never could catch on to knitting or crocheting, but I love quilting and x-stitch. You are never too old to learn so good for you!!

I wish I had somewhere great to learn just how to knit!!! That is so cool that you learned how to do the fingers!!!

13. Bonnie says:

Congrats on learning how to make gloves! I’d love to learn how to knit socks and maybe crochet an afghan. I have only knitted scarves and would love to learn more. I also want to learn how to sew. You are right that it is never too late to learn something new!!