First Paragraph: Y Is For Yesterday

Every Tuesday Vicki at I’d Rather Be At the Beach shares the first paragraph of a book currently being read. Feel free to join the fun.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~~  ~

I’ve so enjoyed this long-running series. I’m sad that, due to the death of the author, this title will be the last one. Rest in peace, Sue Grafton, and thanks for all the pleasure you gave us. Here’s the first paragraph:

THE THEFT
January 1979

Iris stood at the counter in the school office, detention slip in hand, anticipating a hand-smack from Mr. Lucas, the vice-principal. She’d already seen him twice since her enrollment at Climping Academy the previous fall. The first time, she’d been turned in for cutting PE. The second time, she’d been reported for smoking outside study hall. She’d been advised there was a smoking area set aside specifically for students, which she argued was on the far side of campus and impossible to get to between classes. That fell on deaf ears. This was now early January and she’d been reported for violating the school’s dress code.

What do you think?

Would you keep reading?

This entry was posted in First Paragraph. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to First Paragraph: Y Is For Yesterday

1. This was never a series I got into although my daughter is a huge fan and was so sad to hear that Sue Grafton had died. Happy reading!

2. I’d keep reading. I think I’ve only read one of her books. I’d like to read more. Sad to hear that Sue Grafton has died.

3. Kay says:

I’ve only read a couple of books in the series as well. Not sure why it never clicked with me. That being said, isn’t it interesting that they have a ‘smoking area’ for the students. How things have changed, right? And I’m also sorry for Sue Grafton’s passing, but impressed that her family has said ‘the alphabet ends with Y’. 🙂

4. I’m a few books behind in getting to Y. I almost don’t want to get there now. Love Kinsey, Henry, and the other returning characters. So saddened by Grafton’s death.

5. Ann Marie says:

I haven’t read any of the books in this series but I know what a devoted fan base she had. I was sorry to hear that she’d passed away.

6. I loved this one, as I’ve loved all of Grafton’s books. I’m so sad that she has gone on…but afterwards, I did a search of her alphabet series and discovered that there are a few in the middle that I had missed!

Enjoy…thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

7. Vicki says:

I haven’t read any of the books in this series but your intro makes me think I’d like this one, and maybe the others. I was sad when I heard about the author.

8. carol says:

I’ve never read any of this series, and to be honest this intro doesn’t really grab me.

9. Diane says:

Her last book; she was a mystery writer icon. Hope you love this one.

10. I’ve read a couple of books in the “alphabet” series and enjoyed them. This sounds like another good story. It would be fun to read all the way from A to Y. Sue Grafton will definitely be missed.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ Writing With a Texas Twang

11. Yvonne says:

I never read this series, but the books sound so good. I’ll definitely be getting around to them.

12. Nise' says:

She will be missed. I am behind on the series.

13. Kathy Martin says:

I am way behind on this series but have enjoyed all the ones I’ve read. I really should try to catch up. Today I have Murder in Bloomsbury by D. M. Quincy. Happy reading!