First Paragraph: Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz

Every Tuesday Vicki at I’d Rather Be At the Beach shares the first paragraph of a book currently being read. Feel free to join the fun.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~~  ~

I’ve had this book on hold at the library for months. Obviously, a lot of people want to read this one. I’ve just started reading it, but I’m already enjoying it. Here’s how it begins:

CROUCH END LONDON

A bottle of wine. A family-sized packet of Nacho Cheese Flavored Totilla Chips and a jar of hot salsa dip. A packet of cigarettes on the side (I know, I know). The rain hammering against the windows. And a book.

What could have been lovelier?

What do you think?

Would you keep reading?

This entry was posted in First Paragraph. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to First Paragraph: Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz

1. I also want to read this one as I’ve heard many good things about it. I also can’t think of anything lovelier!!

2. Enjoy! I want to read this one too…and even have a copy from a friend sitting patiently on the side.

3. Kay says:

OK, guys, I’ve read this one and really, really liked it. Our mystery group had it as discussion book earlier this month, though I had to miss the meeting. Most liked it well enough, but some thought it was hard to keep up with the book within a book and all the characters. I listened to it on audio and don’t remember having trouble with that. Enjoy!

4. Diane says:

Interesting and somewhat odd intro but, it makes me want to read more.

5. Kathy Martin says:

I’ve got this one on my Kindle. Hopefully I’ll get to it someday. This week I have Look for Me by Lisa Gardner – a thriller from my review stack. Happy reading!

Ooooooohhh. Yes! I really need to read this. I’m curious what you’ll think when you’re done.

7. Great excerpt! It tempted me and drew me into their world…and hints at sad things ahead.

Thanks for sharing…and for visiting my blog.

8. I like the way the author sets the scene. His/Her choice of snacks tells the reader a little something about the character, too. I’d keep reading to see what interrupts this scene.
    My Tuesday post features Faultlines.

9. Vicki says:

I can relate. Except for the wine and cigarettes. I’d keep reading.

10. Yvonne says:

This sounds like the perfect read for me. The teaser drew me right in. I’m going to check it out.

11. Nise' says:

Loved the intro!

12. carol says:

I actually listened to the audio last year and mostly enjoyed it I did get caught up in one of the story lines more than the other.