First Paragraph: The Alligator Man

An exciting legal thriller is one of my favorite genres. I’ve read good things about the books of retired trial lawyer James Sheehan. I bought two of his books but, before I could even start them, I was asked to be a part of a book tour for The Alligator Man. Reading this one should be a good way for me to see how good he is. Here’s how the first chapte starts:

AlligatorManGazillionaire Roy Johnson was, among other things, a lush. Every night somewhere between ten and eleven, Mighty Roy would get a bottle of red wine from his wine room, walk outside into his enormous backyard garden, and sniff his various, expensive tropical flowers. Then he’d sit in his overstuffed chair, drinking by himself until the bottle was empty and he’d have to get up and get another one.

He’d screwed a lot of people over to get to that position in life.

What do you think? Did it make you want to keep reading?

Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea asks us to share the first paragraph of a book we are reading. As you can see it’s called First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. Visit Diane to read more First Paragraphs.

This entry was posted in First Paragraph. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to First Paragraph: The Alligator Man

1. Mystica says:

I am not very fond of “lush and alcoholics” type of stories so maybe this is not for me. Seen this on several blogs.

2. Nope, I don’t like that intro at all, but I hope the story has some redeeming factors for you:) Thanks for joining Margot.

Oh I think I’d definitely keep reading — I want to know how he got there.

4. Judy B says:

I bet we are going to find out what a really big jerk he is. Why is the title the Alligator Man? I would have to keep reading, and I’ll look forward to your review. Thanks for sharing.

5. I would definitely keep reading. The narrator sounds like an interesting character.

My Tuesday intro:

6. I think alcoholics make good story…aside from the tragedy of their lives, of course. This one intrigues me, so I’m going to want to learn more. Thanks!

7. Nise' says:

I would keep reading. I have The Lawyer’s Lawyer on my stack.

8. Paulita says:

This sounds like a good one. Here’s Mine

9. kelley says:

I’ve seen a lot of reviews on this book it has never appealed to me. I’m curious to see what you think about it. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

10. I had to laugh as I read the intro. While funny, it definitely doesn’t leave a positive impression of Roy, does it? I would keep reading.

11. Tea Norman says:

He must have cheated people in some way.

12. Pooch says:

What a grabber of an opening! It promises great story telling! I’d continue!

Visit me at