We’re On the Road Again . . .

My husband and I have road fever. We are off to see a big part of the United States. This time the RV is staying in northern California at our son’s home. We’re going back to the good old camping methods: pitch a tent and drag out the sleeping bags.

We’re very excited about this indulgence. Tent camping has been a lifelong love of both ot us. In fact, when we first met, fifty years ago, it was one of the things we had in common.

My husband didn’t want to tow the big 5th Wheel on this trip, so we’re going with a more relaxed, a slower mode of travel. We actually took a practice trip a while back to make sure we still loved tent camping. We do. We had a great time, so here we go.

We have a great itinerary planned. Our first stop is the Wawona section of Yosemite. Then we’ll be heading for the Four Corners. We love this area but haven’t visited here in more than ten years. Then we’ll weave our way through Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and then Indiana to visit with our youngest daughter. We’re planning to take a side trip with her to Nashvlle, Tennessee.

Our most eastern destination will be Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. My sister and her husband will be joining us there. We’ll stay in Gettysburg for a Roads Scholar “educational adventure.” Both men in our party are big history buffs, but my sister and I think we can hold our own on this tour.

After Gettysburg we’ll head back west along the top section of the country. We’ll stop in Portland to see the two granddaughters and their parents. We haven’t seen them since July. We’ll arrive back in northern California just in time to drive on to Fresno for a family wedding. We may just make a quick trip to Yoseite, just so we come full circle.

My plan is to find internet service at least once a week so I can catch up on my blog. I want to share a Road Report with you. Don’t despair, however, if my posts are late. We’ll do our best to keep in touch.

This entry was posted in This and That. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to We’re On the Road Again . . .

1. I’m impressed with your trip! I’m sure you’re going to have a wonderful time!

2. Mary says:

Sounds like a fantastic adventure, Margot. Have a great time. I look forward to your updates. Safe and fun travels!

3. Kay says:

Have a great trip, Margot! Sounds like you guys have it all planned and some really wonderful destinations. You’ll have to swing down to Texas one day, but it’s still really hot here. Not at all comfortable for camping or I wouldn’t think so.

4. Barbara says:

I’m so happy you’re hitting the road again but it’s good that you tried tent camping before setting out. I don’t think I could do that part now. Since you are coming to Gettysburg which isn’t all that far from us, I hope you can let me know when you will be there. If my cancer treatment schedule (and well-being) allows, we could drive down to meet you in person. I’d love that.

5. mark says:

Look forward to seeing you. Happy Trails…

Happy Trails to you . . .
    Four corners, that’s only 300 miles from where I live . . . only :)
    Looking forward to your trail tales.

7. izzybella says:

Wow, I hope you have a GREAT time!! Looking forward to hearing about it all…

8. Safe travels you two! Your itinerary sounds wonderful — I’m looking forward to hearing more. Have you done Roads Scholar programs before? I’m especially interested in hearing how you like this one.

Don’t think I could do tent camping again — good for both of you. Have fun.

Road reports with photos if possible!! I love your sense of adventure!! This trip sounds pretty darn awesome and I know that you’ll both have an incredible time. The Gettysburg stop is one that I would like to do at some point in my life!

Have fun and be safe!

Wow! What a great trip.

11. I hope you have a great time. I’m full of admiration for you camping – I gave it up in my 30s!!! because it was so painful on my knees, sitting on the ground etc.

12. Ti says:

Sounds like a fun time!! Can’t wait to see photos!