We Have New Babies At Our House and Visitors Too

Our new baby chicks have arrived! It’s so exciting!  In this picture they are only five days old. My son ordered 25 chicks but received a few extras – just in case. How were they delivered to us? you ask. I learned there is a modern-day version of the stork – the U.S. Post Office. My son received the phone call at 5:30am that the chicks had arrived.

We have White Leghorns, Red Stars and one all-black chick whose breed I don’t know. That’s the one the breeder threw in for free. They are all female and already vaccinated. Some of these chicks will find other homes when they are older. The rest will be replacements for our current flock who are now the “senior ladies.”

What is even more exciting than the baby chicks is our visitors – our two granddaughters (and their parents). They arrived the old-fashioned way: by air. Our animal lover, Lou, is seen above with one of the White Leghorn she has named Fluff.

And this is our book lover, Q. We have lots of things planned while they are here the next two weeks. The fun of caring for our new babies will, I’m sure, be a highlight of the trip.

This entry was posted in This and That. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to We Have New Babies At Our House and Visitors Too

1. When we first moved to Auburn, AL, I was behind someone in line at the Post Office who was mailing chickens so I knew they were mailed. I just wondered how they mail truck smelled before it was all over with. I know you’re enjoying your visitors and the babies!

2. Ti says:

Very exciting stuff!! I was most excited to see Q reading Fault. Such a great book!

3. Must be fun to have new arrivals of different colors and sizes! Enjoy the grandkids and the chicks!

4. the chicks and the grand kids are all adorable:) love the photos.

5. Kay says:

What cute chicks – chickens and grandgirls! I know you guys will have a great two weeks!

I love little chicks … and the girls are adorable too. Have tons of fun!

7. Annie says:

Have a nice summer, Margot, with your grand-daughters, the chicks and a lot of books !

Enjoy your time with family and chicks :-)

9. Nan says:

Adorable! We’ve gotten a few deliveries at the PO, and they’ve always arrived safe and sound. Nothing like baby chicks. I’ll have to go look up the book your Q. is reading. Wishing you happy times with your family.

10. cerrin says:

Big hello to all of the people and chicks out there. I miss you all! Thanks for the Pictures.

11. Bumbles says:

Good to see Q supporting the library. Maybe the gia can write their own book about summer w/grandma and baby chicks!

Have a wonderful time with your new arrivals and the grandchildren.

13. Great timing for the chicks to arrive about the same time, such fun for your granddaughters….. I’m sure you’re all having a wonderful time!

The chicks are so stinkin’ adorable!! I wish they never had to grow up! Love the intense look on Q’s face as she’s reading a book that I have in my stack of reads too!

15. Louise says:

Cute chicks and cute granddaughters. I’m very jealous of Q reading The Fault in Our Stars, I so want to read that one. Did she like it?

16. trish says: