Favorite Place: The Redwoods and The Coast

We haven’t been traveling about as much as we did when we first retired. But we did manage to take a little trip ┬ámeandering up the northern coast and on over to take a closer look at the giant redwood trees.

The northern coast is different from the southern California beaches. Up north the beach can mostly be seen from high above cliffs. It also seems to be more rugged and filled with boulders.

There is special are up in Humboldt County – north in northern California. As we’ve traveled on Highway 101 we’ve seen this road but have never stopped. It’s called the Avenue of the Giants. It’s 32 miles of redwood groves. The road is a quiet, two-lane with plenty of turn-outs and a picnic area.

We stopped, pulled the deck chairs out and absorbed the beauty of the trees. One of the things I enjoy about being in the midst of a bunch of trees is the variety of leaves and the color green. It’s perfect for settling jangled nerves and setting your mind at peace.

This entry was posted in Favorite Places. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Favorite Place: The Redwoods and The Coast

1. I would love to see the Redwoods!

2. I have never seen The Redwoods in person. Look awesome.

3. Louise says:

The North California coast is beautiful, those trees look amazing.

I’ve always wanted to see the redwoods! John Steinbeck wrote about the trees so eloquently in Travels with Charley (just loved that audiobook) and your photos are the perfect visuals. Some day…

5. cerrin says:

I love that drive. it is just amazing.

6. Ti says:

Yes, Southern California beaches are more open, less rocky but we don’t see many trees from the shoreline.

That is absolutely gorgeous!! My husband and I just bought a new camper and have a season spot up north on the west side of the state. We can’t wait to explore this summer.

8. YVONNE says:

Hi Margot,

I would love to see such a vast expanse of redwoods. We have small copses of them here in the UK, however they are very few and far between.

I have relatives who emigrated to California some 45 years ago and they still regularly travel from the South up the coast Northwards, as they say that the scenery here reminds them so much more of the Eng;and they remember, although I am not so sure that it would be much as they remember it here now.

Some lovely picture and thanks for sharing them,

how fun for you. I’ve always wanted to see the redwoods.

10. Tami says:

Love that top picture! A beach house with that view is near the top of my bucket list. I’m not a fan of the tropical beaches, but could look at that ocean view every day. Thanks for sharing.

11. Annie says:

Thanks for this beautiful trip.

12. Makes me so happy to be heading back to the Pacific Coast!

13. Nan says:

Aren’t they just so wonderful.

14. stacybuckeye says:

I could sit among those gorgeous trees all day!