Let the Christmas Spirit Begin

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving feast day. We did and, of course, we’re still eating the leftovers. I love ’em. I know lots of people love the day after Thanksgiving – Black Friday. It’s not for me. I’ve never cared much for competitive shopping. I leave that to the Super Shoppers. If that is you, I hope you managed to get some great bargains.

The last couple of decades, my practice at this time of year has been to slow down and enjoy it all. This coming month I’m going to concentrate on finding the right gifts for those I love, baking/cooking a few selected treats, watching some classic Christmas movies, and reading special books.

The Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge

I’m joining in The Christmas Spirit Challenge. I have Β a few books already chosen and the rest will come along as the spirit moves me.

First on the list is Debbie Macomber’s Christmas Cookbook. Why am I reading this one? Because I love everything this author writes. Plus, she is one of those people who really loves Christmas. Every year for quite some time she has writen a book set in this season. Some of you may know her characters: Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy. And then there is also Mrs. Miracle.

Debbie loves children and being a grandmother, and it shows. The children in her books are totally lovable. In her new Christmas Cookbook she has a wonderful chapter called “Cooking With Grandma.” The recipes look like they would be fun for everyone, including the two craft projects.

Another chapter I like is one called “Christmas Gifts.” There are recipes for special cookies as well as other gifts like Many Bean Soup Mix and a couple more crafts. The rest of the book is focused around Christmas: Dinners for Christmas and Christmas Eve, recipes for Appetizers for an Open House, and lots of belly-filling, old-fashioned family dinners. It’s a great resource for the holiday. It would also make a super gift for a Debbie Macomber fan.

Look for Debbie Macomber’s Christmas Cookbook at your local library or bookstore. Debbie Macomber’s Christmas CookbookΒ is also available at Amazon. (I am an Amazon Associate.)

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking, a weekly feature at Beth Fish Reads. Click the button below and it will take you there.

This entry was posted in Books About Food, Christmas Spirit Challenge. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Let the Christmas Spirit Begin

1. I love looking through Christmas cookbooks and Christmas craft books. I don’t usually do much new these days, but I love to look at the projects anyway!

I adore cookbooks based on novels and from beloved authors. Even though I don’t read Macomber often, I may need to add this to my collection “just because.”

3. I mean to set goals like yours every year and then before I know it the holiday is here. I hope your season is perfect this year. Have fun doing your favorite things.

4. Care says:

Happy Holidays! I’m especially excited to see the Christmas lights on all the houses.

5. Fun! I was just plucking the seasonal books from the library yesterday. I’m going to check and see if they have this one, as well. Sounds like just the thing to get me in the mood πŸ™‚

6. Mystica says:

I like cookbooks in general and Christmas cookbooks somehow make the season seem warmer/cosier/friendlier?

7. We think the same way when it comes to the holidays. I really don’t do much shopping anymore and try to just enjoy my family and friends during the holidays.

8. I’ll have to see if my library has this and if not request they get it! Happy baking Margot

9. Sounds like a fun, festive book! She also has a movie on the Hallmark Channel this week, I think.

Mrs. Miracle was a good movie, I really liked it. I never “do” black Fri. shopping either. Did it once, regretted and never wanted to repeat the experience.
    I see you’re reading Plain Paradise. How is it so far? That’s another author I need to put on my list. Have a wonderfully peaceful week and enjoy your baking and reading.

That sounds like a great cookbook! I wish that I had a bigger kitchen and knew what I was really doing!!! Looking forward to seeing some results from your cooking festivities! πŸ˜€

12. Ti says:

You’ve got the right idea πŸ™‚

We had a really nice Thanksgiving and I did go out on Friday, but only to the mall (two stores) and one other store. I was back in a couple of hours
    and I got some really good deals. Our mall was crowded but everyone was sipping lattes and feeling merry. No violent antics to be found. Our mall recently
    build an outdoor patio area with firepits and the like and it was all decked out. Very pretty.

I am forced (because of the economy) to really consider my purchases beforehand. The benefit to this is that I don’t really feel too pressured. Everything
    is well planned and there are no feverish impulse buys which I have made in the past.

I just want to appreciate all of it this year. The family time, the time with friends, the music and the food!

13. Hi Margot! Sorry I’m so late, but I wanted to officially welcome you to the challenge. I hope you enjoy the challenge. I’m planning on reading a couple Macomber books myself.

Happy Christmas Reading!