How Many Ways Can I Make Brownies?

I made a really stupid purchase a while ago and now I’m living with the consequences. It’s not what I bought that was bad. It was how much I bought.

I really don’t know what I was thinking, but I needed to buy enough brownie mix to make three big (9 x 13) pans of brownies. I went to Costco and bought four of these big boxes you see here. I should have paid attention.

It turns out each box had enough brownie mix to make three big pans. So now I have enough brownie mix to feed a small platoon. I’m trying to give some away and I haven’t given up on that idea. But in the meantime, I’m looking for creative ways to prepare brownie mix without making it look like the same thing every time.

In today’s world, finding new ideas means using my friendly search engine. Turns out I’m not the only one with this problem. I found a nice selection of ideas around the web.  Today I thought I would share with you a summary of what I found. So here is one idea I thought up myself plus what I’m calling my Top Ten Ways to Use Brownie Mix.

• #10: Brownie mix baked with raisins and walnuts. (My idea.)
  • #9: Stir sliced almonds , chopped dried cherries and a dash of almond extract into the brownies before baking.
  • #8: Fold a cup of mashed banana into the brownie mix before baking.
  • #7: Make triple chocolate brownies by mixing white , milk and semi sweet chocolate chips into the batter before baking.
  • #6: Make the brownie mix batter and put in the pan. Then swirl in softened (or whipped) cream cheese into the batter. I could also try one of the fruity cream cheeses.
  • #5: Make brownies into cookies. One idea is to add chopped macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips to the batter and drop it by the spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.
  • #4: Pour the brownie mix into paper-lined muffin cups and make them into cupcakes. Some people suggested putting a peanut butter cup (like Reese’s) or other candy in the center.
  • #3: Brownies (baked) and then topped with carmel topping , sweetened flaked coconut and chopped sweetened pecans.
  • #2: Bake the brownies as usual but take it out about ten minutes before it is done. Cover the brownie mix with miniature marsmallows, pieces of graham crackers, and broken up hershey’s milk chocolate candy bars. What you have is Brownie S’Mores.
  • My #1 way to use my excess brownie mix is Brownie Pizza. This came from Betty Crocker. The Betty Crocker web site has lots of ideas for using brownie mix. Because of that I apologize to Betty Crocker for buying the excess amount of Ghirardelli Brownie Mix.

Here’s an abbreviated version of Betty’s recipe. (You can find the full recipe HERE.)

Brownie Pizza

Ingredients:

• Brownie Mix plus the water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie mix box
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 cups of fresh blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries
  • 1/2 cup apple jelly

Directions:

Prepare the brownie mix as directed on the package. Spread the mix into a greased 12 inch pizza pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Let it cool for about an hour. Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Carefully spread it over the cooled brownies. Arrange the berries over the cream cheese mixture. Stir the jelly until smooth; brush over the berries. Refrigerate about an hour or until chilled. Cut into wedges.

That’s my best suggestions, so far. Anyone have a good idea for using the brownie mixes?

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking, a weekly feature at Beth Fish Reads. Click the button below and it will take you there.

This entry was posted in Food Talk, Weekend Cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to How Many Ways Can I Make Brownies?

Brownie pizza sounds awesome!!! I remember a friend of mine used to take a brownie mix and stir in a can of cherry pie filling — they were delicious and moist. I bet an Internet search would pop up a recipe.

Brownie sundaes gets my vote but then how can you go wrong with ice cream and hot fudge sauce.

3. TheBookGirl says:

I have used brownie mix to make cupcakes…I think I got the recipe online.

Your post made me smile, as I have done the same thing with Costco (probably most Costco shoppers have)…came home with something that had me shaking me head as to either why I bought it, or how I will possibly use it all up, lol.

4. You can send some of that brownie pizza my way, looks great! Ghirardelli is my favorite brownie mix, love it. I get the one with nuts. LOL, I think I’d rather hav etoo much brownie mix than say dish detergent or paper towels from Costco, not a bad way to go 🙂

We used to make a brownie cookie thing, a layer of tollhouse cookie dough spread in a pan, then topped with the brownie mix, baked in the oven, cut into squares when it cools. They are so good.

5. Nan says:

I am such a brownie fan, and I love so many recipes that I have a whole category under the recipes tab just for brownies. :<)

6. No suggestions, but send me a piece of pizza! Yummmmm-o.

I love brownies, too! That pizza looks delicious… you’ll be having brownies desserts until spring 🙂

8. Louise says:

Brownie pizza at first souned a bit alarming. The picture looks pretty good. How was it?

9. Belle Wong says:

I like both the cream cheese swirled into the brownie mix and the brownie pizza idea!

10. What a fun post. The brownie s’mores have my mouth watering!

11. Marg says:

What a fun post! Too much brownie mix sounds like a good problem to have!

12. Uniflame says:

I never use bake mixes anymore. Brownies are good but I always make them plain when I do. I guess it will be time to variate some more with this!

Here is my weekend cooking post: http://shelikesbento.blogspot.com/2011/09/weekend-cooking-herbal-cheese-pancakes.html

13. The brownie pizza looks great, but you omitted the joys of just eating raw brownie mix! :–)

14. Heather says:

Black Forest Brownies – add a can of well drained dark cherries, not cherry pie filling, will need extra cooking time

Mint – put half the batter in the pan, add a layer of peppermint patties and then top with the rest of the batter.

15. Can you get flavored olive oil there? If you can, add blood orange olive oil instead of regular oil – delicious!

You can never have too much brownie mix…according to my youngest 😀 All of those ideas sound great and the photos you included just made me hungry!

17. Annie says:

I was a little hungry before reading your post, but now I’m no more ! So much brownies ! I like to cook them too !

18. stacybuckeye says:

I’m in for any of those!

19. Tami says: