Wondrous Words #129

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme created and sponsored by Kathy at Berrmuda Onion.

Yesterday I told you about a new-to-me detective story. It was The Death of the Mantis by Michael Stanley. The book was filled with new-to-me words as well. They were all very interesting, all about things in the African country of Botswana. Here’s just a few:

1.  Khoisan: The name by which the lighter-skinned indigenous peoples of southern Africa, the Khoi (Hottentots) and the San (Bushmen), are known. These people dominated the subcontinent for millennia before the appearance of the Nguni and other black peoples.

2.  springbok: “So what? Maybe they kill a springbok.

A springbok is a medium-size brown-and-white antelope. A springbok has the ability to survive long periods without water. He’s the national animal of South Africa.

3.  donga: As he searched for them, he came to the top of a donga.

A donga is a dry river course with steep sides.

For more new words, be sure to visit Kathy.

*Photo credit: Wikipedia

This entry was posted in Wondrous Words. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Wondrous Words #129

1. Louise says:

Ah Margot it’s easy to tell that you don’t come from a rugby obsessed country- the Springboks is also the name of the South African rugby team (currently at play in the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand). Donga is also a slang term in Australia for a temporary building.

I always thought springbok was synonomous with wildebeest. Are they the same or two different animals? Sounds like this was an interesting read.

3. Next time you take your grandkids to the zoo, check for springboks. Zoos almost always have them. They must easily adapt or something…

4. I like donga. It sounds fun and is useful. Thanks for sharing. If you get a chance, my words are here.

5. I think I’ve looked up springbok before but I couldn’t have defined it. These words make the book sound even more appealing.

6. Barbara says:

I’m anxious to read something by Michael Stanley. Have heard a lot about this team of writers.

7. Peggy @ Peggy Ann's Post says:

I like that you put pictures with the words! Interesting blog you have here! Can’t wait until we retire…next year or two!

8. Belle Wong says:

Now I’m wondering if our local zoo has springboks!

9. Can’t wait to read these for myself.

Thanks for those words…now when I read this one (soon) I will know what they mean!

11. Annie says:

I like your words, Margot. I just knew springbok… and springboks, the rugby team, so named, I suuppose, because they are running fast !