An Afternoon Tea for a Bride-To-Be

An Afternoon Tea can be both traditional and modern. It’s a custom that’s been around for a couple hundred years (early 1800s) but is regaining in popularity today. I thought it was a fitting way to honor our soon-to-be new daughter-in-law. Genevieve is thoroughly grounded in the modern world but has a healthy respect for the traditional. She was very happy when she heard of the tea idea.

So, on a sunny afternnon, her female family and friends gathered at the home of Genevieve’s step-mom, Cathy. After everyone arrived and had a chance to visit for a bit, we invited each guest to choose a tea cup and saucer and move to the patio where the bride-to-be poured tea.

We’ve been collecting beautiful china teacups and saucers as well as a few teapots over the past few months. They came from a surprising source: ย local thrift stores. I was amazed at the quality we found. We offered them to our guests as door prizes.

Our menu was light as is fitting to the occasion.We served three kinds of tiny sandwiches:

• Cucumber (with lemon cream cheese and a pinch of dill)
  • Goat cheese and Watercress (chopped fine)
  • Chicken Salad.

There were also the Apple Almond Scones I told you about last week.

One of the resources I read suggested a good tea menu should have both savory and sweet. I made these very tiny Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes. As you can see, the raspberry is almost as big as the cupcake. I love the combination of chocolate and raspberries. These were so decadent but small enough so no one felt guilty about eating them. (I’ll share this recipe in a future food post.)

We played a very clever game of jeopardy that Cathy had created. The questions and answers were facts about wedding traditions as well as facts about the bride and groom. We played in teams and had lots of fun. And ten the bride-to-be opened her gifts, as you see above. We drank more tea and ate more goodies and it was time to go. It turned out to be an excellent way to honor our Genevieve. You might like to consider a tea party for an event in your future.

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking, a weekly feature at Beth Fish Reads. Click the button below and it will take you there.

This entry was posted in Foodie's Reading Challenge, Weekend Cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to An Afternoon Tea for a Bride-To-Be

1. Tea says:

How beautiful…..the Chocolate Raspberry cupcakes look delicious, so, so pretty and dainty. Must have been fun picking the tea cups, etc. Yep, I’ve seen very beautiful tea cups and saucers in thrift shops, also very expensive. Fabulous photos.

Love the idea of using the tea cups and pots for door prizes! It must have been so much fun collecting them. The tea party photos look so inviting.

3. That looks like a lovely event. Your cupcakes sound to die for!

What a fun afternoon. I love that you collected teacups for the occasion. What a great idea.

5. Margot how beautiful! I was just talking to a friend this week about tea parties – they are so sweet and I have never been to one!

6. TheBookGirl says:

To this avid tea drinker, this party sounds like heaven ๐Ÿ™‚

I love the idea of the tiny cupcakes — they sound delicious, and sometimes just a bite or two of sweet is all you really want.

7. Rikki says:

This sounds like a fun event. And how nice to collect the cups etc. and use them as door prizes. Lovely idea!

8. Everything about this is wonderful! What a perfect day.

9. Nan says:

A perfect, perfect time. I could probably eat ten of those cupcakes!

10. Vicki says:

sounds like a fun time!! The food looks yummy!
    Here’s My Recipe

11. JP says:

What a fun idea! Those sandwiches sound delish!

12. This looks so wonderful! We actually had a tea at our bookclub when we discussed the book by Alan Bennett about the Queen of England – blanking on the title! – but it was so fun for everyone, and the MALE who picked the book actually prepared the scones and the tea sandwiches and the whole bit! (but he did NOT make those wonderful looking little cupcakes!)

13. I’ve attended several teas over the past couple years and they are such fun. What a great idea for a bridal shower! I love it. The food looks fabulous and I must agree with other comments on the little raspberry chocolate cupcakes! Yummy!

I’m sure this will be a favorite memory for your new daughter-in-law. Looks like she had a fun day and you put on a beautiful spread.

15. What a lovely idea for a bridal shower and what a wonderful memory you created.

16. Leslie says:

How simple and yet so elegant. I love it.

sounds like your tea-party turned out perfectly ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Kaye,the sister, Cogdill says:

Well Margot, I was there and it was special to relive it all with your whimsical write-up! And yes, oh yes, your raspberry/ chocolate mini cupcakes were sensational and your scones just melted in our mouths! What precious memories of that special day! Bunches of Love…..Kaye, the sister

19. Barbara says:

Wonderful party, planned perfectly. I’m sure she’ll remember this all her life. You have begun your journey as a mother-in-law very well.

20. Cerrin says:

I am really sad I missed this. I would have loved to have tea with the girls

21. stacybuckeye says:

I love teas! My aunt had one for her bridal shower a few years ago. Hats were a must ๐Ÿ™‚

22. Great information on host. I was wondering where I can host.