A Cosy Mystery: Chili Con Corpses

CHILI CON CORPSES

by J.B. Stanley

Midnight Ink, 2008

My Rating: B

James Henry is the librarian in the town of Quincy Gap, Virginia. He and his fellow members of a supper club decide to join a Mexican/Spanish-themed Fix ‘n’ Freeze cooking class. They’ve all been dieting for months and this emphasis on spicy tasting food has perked their appetites and their interests.

James has a few challenges, but not with the cooking. His girlfriend (she has feelings for another guy), his father (he’s having a hard time getting over his wife’s death), and there’s a winning lottery ticket someone left in the library’s book return slot. In addition, a woman is murdered during a field trip James was helping to chaperone.

This was a nice, pleasant, cozy mystery that went pretty fast. In addition to the fast-paced story there are several yummy recipes. I tried the chicken enchilada recipe and I’ll share that with you tomorrow during Weekend Cooking. One of the fun features of the book was that all the chapters were titled with food, like Beef Brisket and Banana.

Chili Con Corpses is the third book in the author’s Supper Club series. I haven’t read the first two but I didn’t have any trouble understanding number three. Jennifer (J.B.) Stanley has two other series she’s written. I’m going to try her Hope Street Church mysteries next. For more information on the author her website at Jennifer Stanley.

This entry was posted in 100+ Book Challenge, B Books, Book Challenges, Books, Library Challenge, Mysteries and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to A Cosy Mystery: Chili Con Corpses

1. Kay says:

I think I have one of these Supper Club mysteries on my shelf here somewhere. I’ll have to look. I also have the first book in the Hope Street series. Glad you enjoyed this one.

2. Molly says:

The clever titles of these cozy mysteries never cease to amaze me!

Right now I have more cozies sitting on my shelf than I could read in five years – mostly because I am drawn to the clever title and premise of the book.

3. Whoever thought up the idea of these cozies with recipes was onto a good thing!

4. Tami says:

I just purchased the Hope Street Church series for the library and they’re on my TBR list. I didn’t realize she had other series also – looks like I better check them out as well.

5. cerrin says:

I love getting those fast paced books. They really help my brain focus outside of my life. lol

6. oh, is that title just a little too cute for me to read? perhaps…lol

7. I have such a love affair with cozies…this one sounds like a fun one to pick up. But it would be so hard for me to read #3 without reading 1 and 2!!!

8. Robin says:

Sounds like a good cozy mystery. Will have to check out the series.

9. cerrin says:

I found a book that made me think of this in my used book store. I think it was called Carrot Cake Murder…Or something along that line. I almost bought it…but my pile was so full…Well I didnt. 😉