All Things Alcott Challenge

After reading The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O’Connor McNees, I have a strong desire for more of Louisa May Alcott.

I want to reread Little Women and Jo’s Boys. I’ve discovered her short stories and learned she has also written adult mysteries and thrillers, poetry, fairy tales, fantasy and even pulp fiction. And then there are the biographies of her, movies of her books. There is a documentary I want to see as well. I also saw that there is a new release coming entitled Little Women and the Werewolves. Ah, I’m not so sure about that one, but there seems to be a lot of interest in Louisa May Alcott lately.

Come and join me. I’m setting forth a challenge for myself and anyone else who would like to join in. It will be great fun to explore Louisa May’s world with others who call themselves fans and/or are interested in exploring her body of work.

If you accept this challenge, please follow these guidelines:

1. Between May 1st and the end of the year (2010), choose one or more Alcott related things to do (see #2). In the spirit of Louisa May Alcott, each participant will set his/her own course in this challenge. You choose one or as many Alcott related items as you wish.
  2. You will also determine the contents of your challenge. As long as it is Alcott related, you may choose books, audiobooks, DVDs, movies, TV shows, a play or live theater. Anything by or about Louisa May Alcott is the intention of the challenge.
  3. It’s not necessary to compile a list at the beginning of the challenge. I’m hoping this will lead me to discover new items I haven’t even heard about.
  4. It’s perfectly okay if this challenge overlaps with other challenges.

How to sign up:

Grab the All Things Alcott Challenge button. (Use the big one above  or use the smaller one on the Challenge page.) Create a post declaring your decision to join this challenge. Return to this post and sign up using Linky Tools below.

If you do not have a blog and want to join the challenge, state your intent in the comments  section. All participant’s names will be listed on the All Things Alcott page. (Located above on the right-hand side under my header picture.)

As you read and discover Alcott’s work and related items, return to the challenge page to leave a link or a comment about what you have read/watched/listened to. I’m hoping to collect a good list of what we discover. If you’d like to look for a list of her work, Wikepedia has a nice write-up on Alcott with a list of her books. You will have good luck if you google Louisa May Alcott. I checked our local library and they listed 87 items; some were duplicates.

Here’s hoping we have many happy hours exploring the world of Louisa May Alcott. Good luck to us all.

This entry was posted in All Things Alcott Challenge, Book Challenges, Books. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to All Things Alcott Challenge

1. Molly says:

Oh Margot, how fun!

I hesitate to join now with so much on my plate, but I will consider joining this fall. I would love to re-read Little Women (it has been decades) and with all the fabulous reviews of Lost Summer….that is tops on my TBR list.

You are tempting me, Margot! I have avoided challenges this year, but this may be one I have to give in to. Like Molly, I’d love to reread Little Women.

3. FleurFisher says:

I am horribly tempted.. I have Harriet Reisen’s biography to hand and I shall be checking the library catalogue too.

4. BooksPlease says:

Like the others I’m so tempted by this and I wasn’t going to take part in any more challenges! But as I have Eden’s Outcast: the Story of Louisa May Alcott and her Father on my to-be-read list I will join you. I’ve been wondering about re-reading some of her books too.

5. BooksPlease says:

Sorry, I couldn’t get the Mr Linky to work!

Uh Oh! Your blog is getting to be dangerous — I’m adding challenges left and right. Give me a week and I’ll put up my challenge acceptance post. Arghhhhh. Good think I love all things LMA.

7. How funny – recently we had jo’s boys in a crossword puzzle, and read it as josboys and I thought – how odd, I never heard of that Alcott book! :–)

8. This challenge sounds too good to pass up!

I’d really like to do this one–but I’m feeling a little overwhelmed with the challenge thing. I’ll put it in my list and see if I can get in at least one before the end of the year. I’d like to read that one you recently reviewed about the Lost Summer.

I signed up!! Now I need to start investigating the things I want to read!!!!

11. Nicole says:

Have fun. This is a great challenge. I just read An Old-Fashioned Girl and I didn’t really like it that much, but I have enjoyed a number of her other books.

12. Pingback: BooksPlease » Blog Archive » Challenges and the All Things Alcott Challenge

13. BooksPlease says:

I’ve now signed up – good idea, Margot!

14. Rachel says:

I’m totally in!

15. So tempted, you know I’m a huge LMA fan! I’ve just cleaned one challenge off my sidebar, and am bowing out of another (unfinished) this weekend, so I have a space waiting for that challenge button ….

I’m laughing at rhapsody’s comment about Jo’s Boys. My husband asked me the answer to that clue in the puzzle :)

16. Pingback: Good Wives by Louisa May Alcott « Book Snob

17. Penny says:

I come to your blog by way of booksnob and her wonderful review of Good Wives.

I am a great fan of Louisa May Alcott and love, love, love Little Women, and so enjoyed her review of Good Wives and applaud you and your challenge. I won’t be able to participate, but thought you or your readers might be interested in a few things Alcott.

A few years ago we visited Concord, Massachusetts and one of stops was Orchard House, home of the Alcotts and where Louisa May penned Little Women. I was thrilled to see the house with her little window desk where she wrote using both hands and the artwork preserved on the wall and woodwork that sister May (Amy in the book) did. You can visit the site, which is chock full of books of all types relating to Louisa and her family. http://www.louisamayalcott.org/index.html.

There is a wonderful book with LMA’s journal entries that was written by Harriet Reisen who did the American Masters production on PBS this past winter. Louisa May Alcott, The Woman Behind Little Women is a very well done biography.

LIttle Women Abroad, The Alcott Sisters’ Letters from Europe, 1870-1871, edited by Daniel Shealie (sp?) is also quite good.

Good luck to all in this challenge.

18. Breanne says:

Little Woman is one of my favorite things in the world, so I couldn’t say no to this!

19. Sooo excited to do this challenge as I’m an Alcott fan! Thanks for hosting!!

20. Pingback: An Alcott Challenge! « Beth’s Book-Nook Blog

21. Whitney says:

Super excited to begin this challenge! Thank you so much for hosting.

22. Looking forward to this challenge – have just signed up :)

23. I’ve been itching to read some of these new books about Alcott, and to reread some of my old favorites. So I’m in! Thank you for the opportunity. I entered my link above.

Kudos!

24. Mari says:

I’m not even going to look at another challenge, but this was too good to pass up! I just posted and Mr. Linky-ed.

25. I just added my link today (5-23) for my first completed task…my review of Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women, by Harriet Reisen.

26. Pingback: On Challenges Started & Completed | Bibliofreakblog

27. Missie says:

I loved Alcott when younger. I will joyfully accept this challenge!

28. I just entered my link to my review of Little Men.

I’m setting this challenge aside now, since I’ve reread Little Women, Little Men, and read Lost Summer and The Woman Behind Little Women.

I may add some others later…

29. Heidi says:

I thought for a week why I should not tie myself to a challlenge but it is just too much fun to participate. I do not have a book blog. Mine is a home and garden blog but I am influenced in my life by many of my favorite books and writers. Louisa May Alcott is one of them to be certain! I happened to already be reading a book not as known by her so will be posting my first challenge entry today. Thanks as I am sure this will be fun.

Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

30. Annie says:

First, sorry for my bad english ! But I’m french and I have never heard of Louisa May Alcott. Shame on me ! But reading Heidi’s blog and after yours I have wanted discovered her immediatly and order four books (in english) on Amazon ! Now I’ll try to read and write…

Bien amicalemnet à toutes.

Annie

31. Lori says:

Hi! I just stumbled on to this challenge and would love to participate! I read and reread Alcott as a child and recently reread “Eight Cousins” (one of my very favorites) so this is a timely challenge! I have wanted to read some of Alcott’s adult fiction and would love to read the new bio. I have the Cornelia Meigs bio which was a gift from a favorite aunt when I was young. I’m going to have to find that and reread it also! I do not have a blog, so will be followng through comments.
    Thanks for hosting!
    Lori

32. I just finished The Lost Summer of LMA last night and thought to myself, “I wonder why there isn’t a LMA challenge out there in book blog land?” And lo and behold, I stumbled across this! I don’t think I can participate in the challenge due to my schedule, but I adored Little Women years ago and have An Old Fashioned Girl sitting on my shelf. The Lost Summer was delightful and I know reading more of LMA is in my future.

33. I think I just commented in the wrong place. I’d like to join just through the comment section! Thanks for the reminder of this wonerful author. I read the biography “The Woman Behind Little Women” by Harriet Reisen and I loved it. Now I’m going to try to re-read Louisa’s books.

34. Nancy says:

I was in the Alcott Challenge before there was an Alcott Challenge. Louisa May and her activities are a long-term interest of mine. I have a post at my blog describing my reactions to her novel Work http://silverseason.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/louisa-may-alcott-work-a-story-of-experience/.

A few weeks ago, I was able to visit the Fruitlands Museum at Harvard (the town, not the college), Massachusetts. The house that the Alcott family occupied during Bronson Alcott’s weird experiment with communal living is there. I suspect the house is in better shape now than it was when the Louisa spent some months there and recorded them in her journal.

35. Pingback: Welcome! « Louisa May Alcott is My Passion

36. Susan Bailey says:

I’m so happy to find this challenge! Louisa May Alcott has fascinated me all my life but I’ve never really had anyone I could share that passion with. And I’m with Nancy – I’ve actually been in on the challenge since the summer began, beginning with Lost Summer, then moving into Harriet Reisen’s book, while re-reading Little Women and reading Hospital Sketches for the first time (there are some really brilliant portions to that work!). I’ve now just started on Carolyn Ticknor’s book, “May Alcott A Memoir” as she fascinates me too. And I took the customarily pilgrimage to Concord which fortunately I live near to, just last week during my vacation.

Looking forward to sharing back and forth on our passion! This challenge gave me an excuse to start a blog on my passion too. Thanks, Margot!

37. Susan Bailey says:

New post on May Alcott – I’m reading Caroline Ticknor’s memoir and plan to post periodically as I read it – here’s the first one – http://susanbailey.wordpress.com/2010/08/14/reading-may-alcotts-memoir-some-thoughts/

38. Susan Bailey says:

Day 3 of my read of Caroline Ticknor’s memoir on May – here’s a post about how opposites (Louisa and May) attract and I believe that was important to Louisa. http://susanbailey.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/day-3-may-alcott-a-memoir-opposites-attract/

If you like what you’re reading on my blog, you can subscribe to it and get an email announcing each post. You’ll see it in the right hand column of the blog.

39. OK, I’m in! I just finished the Harriet Reisen biography this evening and I’m hooked. (Not like I need another challenge, but this is low-key and too much fun to pass up, even in this late stage of the year.)

40. Susan Bailey says:

Just wanted to let you know that I am continuing to read through Carolyn Ticknor’s memoir about May Alcott Nieriker and blog about it at http://louisamayalcottismypassion.wordpress.com. I also created a Facebook page for those of you on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/pages/Louisa-May-Alcott-is-My-Passion/138623432845648?v=wall. Come on over!

41. Harriet Reisen says:

Check out louisamayalcot.net for clips from the American Masters film which is beautiful (that is objective, even though I wrote and produced it) and stay for lots of archival photographs, my book through Chapter 1, and more. It’s so gratifying to find others who share my continuing fascination with LMA.

42. Patti Smith says:

I’m going to do this as well, Margot…even though I’m pretty late signing up. I have a stack of stuff that I bought when I visited Concord and Orchard House last May…time for me to have an excuse to lock myself away and enjoy it :)

43. Viola says:

It’s rather late in the year, but as I am a fellow Sag I couldn’t resist!

44. Yes, I’m another late entry. But, like other Sags, I could not resist when I learned about it. :-)

45. Pingback: BooksPlease » Blog Archive » All Things Alcott Challenge